Soft tops are a great addition to any vehicle, but even the highest quality soft top is going to spring a leak eventually. They’re manufactured using UV-resistant materials for obvious reasons, so naturally, the material is going to degrade over time and exposure to the sun. The good news is that replacing a soft roof is far from expensive and you can do it yourself if you have the time and patience.
Replacing A Convertible Top On A Budget
Before taking on this endeavour, carefully consider whether you want to repair it or replace it. Depending on its condition, repairing it is usually more affordable than replacing it.
- If your goal is to alter the top, make sure you take into consideration alternate materials. There are dozens of fabrics for you to choose from, so you do not have to focus only on vinyl. You can always opt to receive the top in a canvas fabric that functions like a convertible top. It improves the appearance of the vehicle, and the wind will not create as much noise while driving.
- Also accessible is a canvas with a rubber inner layer and a cotton backing, another alternative.
- Are you interested in cutting your expenses? Consider purchasing from a company that offers lower prices to budget customers. In some cases, these companies could save you more than $200 when acquiring a replacement topper.
- If you’re replacing the top or repairing it, you can reuse some frames, pads, or cables that are still in working condition, such as the top frame.
One crucial important thing to bear in mind is that, as you might feel tempted to conduct some sewing repairs or install a replacement convertible top on your own, fixing a roof can be a complicated job. If you aren’t careful, you can cause a collapse, damage to the inside, or worse. Keep the difficulty as well as the costs to yourself and leave it to professionals.
The Estimated Price For Replacing A Convertible Top Runs From $900 To $1500
The cost of replacing a convertible top largely depends on the make and model of your car. In this way, the ordinary costs run from $900 to $1500.
- A single replacement top, including pop rivets, staples, hold-down cables, and adhesive.
- A strip of window rubber (for anyone who possesses a vehicle with glass windows that are rubber-lined).
- Silicone spray
Many automated home theatre kits do not include window and backlight separately and can be purchased individually if you wish to create your unit.
Soft Top vs. Hard Top
Some customers may be concerned about the structural integrity of a soft-top compared to a hardtop. In addition, soft-tops are more likely to succumb to general wear and tear. However, hardtop vehicles may not be as expensive and laborious to maintain as a convertible. It relies on many complex components to run properly and requires a great deal of effort and know-how to fix.
Regarding the soft top, one notable benefit is that you can remove the top. If you take out the top, your car can still be driven while the repairs are taking place. Additionally, be aware that the rate of insurance for soft-top convertibles is typically higher than for hardtop convertibles. Because they are more vulnerable to damage and break-in (for their easy access), soft-tops are more expensive to insure.
If you are looking to replace your soft tops in Australia, you have plenty of choices. The process can be completed on your own, or you can pay a professional to do it for you. Whichever method you choose, the important thing is to make sure that you only work with a company that can provide quality work at a fair price.